Saturday, January 17, 2009

picture time

So i'll start with pictures from the drive up. We were so excited to see mountains and snow. Jake even got some snowboarding in.

Photobucket

murphy loves to cuddle with jake while driving

Photobucket

we stayed at cynthia bringle's rental house in Penland. The house was filled with amazing pots, textiles and paintings. I was excited to open the cupboards and touch everything!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We did have a small mishap within 20 minutes of being at her house. Her heating vent is on the floor in the hallway and I (or the dogs) must have kicked the hallway runner over the carpet.... hot heating vent + carpet = not good. remember that folks. Next thing we knew the fire alarm is beeping and yelling "fire fire fire" Jake ran over there and the carpet had melted a huge hole. It was pretty awesome.


okay on to John Britt!

His studio is fantastic. It's large and in charge and super organized. I dream of studio space like his.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


First day we covered cone 10 glazes, each picked a base glaze and did line blends and went through adding different oxides to them. I did Penn State Shino and we tried to do a heavy carbon trap.

The second day we worked on cone 6 glazes, same format above. I went for a clear chun and went mason stain crazy. I was trying to find a transparent glaze that would fit helios clay body in a cone 6. Since I carve/draw a lot the idea was to find subtle color but still see the drawings underneath. I pretty much feel like I hit a home run.

the third day we worked with cone 04 glazes. It was great seeing all the crazy crunchy crawly glazes people came up with. Not sure if I will be using this knowledge anytime soon, but it is great to compare/contrast to mid/high fire glazes.

Joy Tanner, Will Baker and Linda McFarlane worked on soda fire stuff for 3 days.

the fourth day we studied the tiles

the last day we made new tiles.

We talked extensively about chemical properties and why/what we put into glazes mixed in with some history. It was fantastic and a lot of it probably went over my head. I have been converted into a glaze nerd.

great carbon trap cobalt penn state shino, shitty picture
Photobucket


this is what happens when you accidentally put low fire test tiles into a highfire firing.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

the odyssey team hard at work
Photobucket

when John isn't dancing,playing with the dog, teaching, or building kilns.. he's extruding!

Photobucket

Wild turkeys and deer walk infront of John's studio all day long
Photobucket


and I just have to post my most favorite ceramic item ever (the golden turd)
Photobucket



besides the cold it was fantastic and i loved every minute of it. I'm hoping that I will get to see these potters soon again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's interesting to see John Britt's studio after reading and re-reading his book. Wish I could have been there too!